Synergizing action on the environment and climate increases benefits and cost-effectiveness. China has proved the effectiveness of co-governance for environment and climate issues. This side event will present case studies from China and around the world that show how employing co-governance practices for climate change and air pollution is a new and effective way to raise ambition for climate change action. These can be found in the report Synergizing action on the environment and climate: good practice in China and around the globe.
The side event is hosted by the Department of climate, Ministry of Ecology and Environment of People’s Republic of China and jointly organized by the Institute of Climate Change and Sustainable Development (ICCSD) of Tsinghua University, the National Center for Climate Change Strategy and International Cooperation (NCSC), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the Climate and Clean Air Coalition (CCAC), and the Energy Foundation.
Moderated by LI Zheng, Executive Vice President of (Institute of Climate Change and Sustainable Development (ICCSD) of Tsinghua University
14:00 to 14:10 - Keynote Speech
- SUN Zhen, Deputy General Director of Climate Change Department of Ministry of Ecology and Environment of China
14:10 to 15:00
- HE Jiankun，Chairman of the Academic Committee of ICCSD of Tsinghua University - The case of China's synergizing action on the environment and climate
- Nathan Borgford-Parnell, Regional Assessment Initiative Coordinator of CCAC - Case studies of international synergizing actions on the environment and climate
- XU Huaqing, Director of National Center for Climate Change Strategy and International Cooperation - Low-carbon development, high-quality economic development and high-level protection of ecological environment
- ZOU Ji, CEO & President of Energy Foundation China - Co-governance of conventional pollutants and carbon dioxide: objectives, methods and measures
15:00 to 15:30 Panel discussion
Moderated by MA Aimin，Deputy director of NCSC
- LI Zheng, Executive Vice President of ICCSD of Tsinghua University
- Dan McDougall, Senior fellow of CCAC
- YANG Xiu，Director of policy and regulation department, NCSC
- WANG Zhigao, Director of Low Carbon Cities Program, Energy Foundation China
- BAI Wenjie, Chief of Division of Regulations and Standards, Beijing Municipal Ecological Environment Bureau
- WANG Dong, Director of Shenzhen Research Centre on Climate Change.